The Son Turó Studio House and the Espai Gustavo Gallery of the Spanish artist Gustavo
Amidst green hills between palms, almond and fig trees in the north-east of Mallorca, between Capdepera and Cala Ratjada, the Spanish artist Gustavo (Peñalver Vico) lives in his studio house Son Turó, which is without doubt one of the most beautiful studios on the island. In 1995, it was designed by the architect José Garcia Ruiz with the collaboration of Gustavo, in 250 square metres of Bauhaus style.
Gustavo now offers fans and collectors from all over the world a new destination to admire and purchase his artwork at his gallery, ESPAI GUSTAVO. In January 2020, the 80 year old artist transformed the former bakery "Ca n’Angel" in the heart of Capdepera into a spacious and modern gallery and cultural space to make his art accessible to an even wider public: from oil paintings, serigraphs and sculptures to catalogues, tiles, cups, wine bottles, magnets, puzzles… art lovers will find a wide range of art, objects and merchandising products.
The ESPAI GUSTAVO conveys the attitude towards life of the internationally renowned artist: tirelessly creative, he paints on several canvases at the same time, making sketches sketches as he indulges in colours and shapes. While doing so, he listens to music by Jacques Brel, Udo Lindenberg, Maria Callas or Mozart, drinks his coffee with milk and constantly develops new ideas. From a gallery in Son Turó he looks out over the sea and on a clear day he can see Minorca. The idyll of his finca, the green of the landscape, the silhouettes of the palm trees, the gentle mountains in the background, the Mediterranean sun, the blue sky with white clouds, the chirping of the birds - all this beauty and joie de vivre finds its way into his colourful works.
Discover Gustavo's unmistakable "whimsical figures in absurd situations" and immerse yourself in this unique and highly significant artistic cosmos!
- Born as Gustavo Peñalver Vico on 11th April in Cartagena, Spain
- He moves to Mallorca
- 1958 – 1962
- Studies in Barcelona
- 1963 – 1964
- Living in Paris
- 1964 – 1968
- Living and working in Brussels (first exhibition overseas, in Antwerp)
- Exhibitions in Munich and Madrid
- Return to Mallorca (contracts with Gallery Layetana, Barcelona and Sala Pelaires, Palma)
- First invitations to the Berlin Festival Weeks
- He moves to Berlin
- First contacts to America (contract with Judith Posner’s Gallery, Milwaukee), exhibitions in L.A., Washington, Milwaukee, New York and Las Vegas
- Contract for graphic work across Europe for Edition SCHOEN Berlin
- Retrospective at the Bonn Redoute under the patronage of Hans-Dietrich Genscher, foreign minister
- Participation in the project "Artists for UNICEF"
- "10 years in Berlin" at Tempelhof Town Hall, Berlin
- Gallery Jensen, Hamburg & Gallery Rudolf Schoen, Berlin: "Hommage à Brel"
- Reinbek Castle at Reinbek
- "Hommage à Woody Allen", exhibition in the Schoen Gallery, Berlin serigraph exhibition, works from 1976
- In the Künstlerhaus Bethanien, Berlin 1992 "Hommage à Fellini", exhibition at the Hesselbach Gallery, Berlin
- "30 years of colour frenzy", retrospective at the Hesselbach Gallery, Berlin interior designing of the Sorat Hotel Gustavo, Berlin
- Material design for the electoral campaign of Johannes Rau, SPD in NRW
"Son Turó", his studio-house, is build on Mallorca/ Capdepera
- Exhibition in the Big Villa in Potsdam
- “Beyond the horizon lies the Mediterranean”, exhibition inspired by Udo Lindenberg at the Spandau Citadel, Berlin
Painting of a Skoda for the charity organisation “Artists Help” in support of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation set up by Christiane Herzog
Postcard campaign to mark 53 years of UNO
- Project and realisation of the "GUSTAVO building", Berlin
- "The colours of remembrance" exhibition in the "Haus der Commerzbank", Berlin
- "The colours of remembrance", exhibition at the ZDF headquarters in Mainz
- "De Sol a Sol", exhibition at the Matthias Kühn foundation, Palma de Mallorca
- The Rosenthal Coffee-Art-Set designed by Gustavo is released
- "From screen to canvas", another exhibition in the “Haus der Commerzbank", Berlin
"Dreams in colour", exhibition at the Peter Maffay foundation, Pollensa, Mallorca
"The colours of enjoyment", exhibition in the Art- Word Gallery in Frankfurt am Main
- Retrospective in Sindelfingen under the patronage of DaimlerChrysler
- "Flying over colours", exhibition in the Palazzo Farnese, Berlin
Project with Peter Maffay "Encounters/an alliance for children"
- "The other colours", retrospective for Gustavo’s 70th birthday at the rbb television centre in Berlin
- Artistic cooperation with ASPANOB (Association in support of parents whose children have cancer)
“Group of musicians waiting for the ship of happiness”. Design and production of the largest mural of tiles in the Balearic Isles on the harbour wall in Cala Rajada. 4 x 16m. 1700 tiles
Exhibition in the Auditorium in Aguilas, Murcia, 25th April to 31st May
“My 21st century”. Exhibition in the modernistic museum Can Prunera in Sóller, Mallorca
“Tiles for Lluc” Exhibition and donation of 50 tiles to the monastery of Lluc after a severe storm badly damaged the roof
- “A pair of fishermen have arrived in a black boat from Antwerp and are waiting for the rainbow in Cala Rajada”. A second equally large mural is put up on the quayside wall in Cala Rajada, Mallorca
Exhibition “Fort he love of color” on the occasion of his 75th birthday at rbb (tv & radio broadcasting centre Berlin/Brandenburg, Berlin
- Seven ceramic figures made for the front of an elementary school in Capdepera, Mallorca
Four new glass windows for the church Nostra Senyora del Carmen in Cala Rajada, Mallorca
New, 2,5 meter high bronze sculpture at the Park Hyatt Hotel Mallorca in Canyamel.
- Exhibition “Vom Glück zu malen” (“The joy of painting”) in the House of Artists in Marktoberdorf (Allgäu), Museum for contemporary art
- Cooperation with the Balearic social aid programme "Projecte Home", realization of the 30th anniversary poster
- Great Sculptures of Gustavo exhibition in the Paseo Marítimo of Cala Rajada, from April to November.
Great retrospective 80th anniversary "A desperately happy life" at the Centre Cap Vermell, Cala Rajada, from April to
Exhibition "Taking advantage of the Nails" in Can Patilla, Capdepera from June to December.
Graphic exhibition "Greetings from Mallorca" from 20 September to 20 November in Bendestorf, Hamburg.
20th Anniversary "Casa Gustavo" in Berlin.
Gustavo 80 Anys" and "espai Gustavo" wine labels for the Special Edition 2014 Reserve of the Macià Batle winery,
December 8th soft opening "espai GUSTAVO" Art Gallery in Capdepera.
- Ofcial opening of the art gallery "Espai Gustavo", January 22nd, Capdepera, Mallorca.
Exhibition "The juggler of colour", Casal Can Fondo exhibition hall, Alcúdia, Mallorca, 19th July - 20th September.
Large-scale mural painting of two exterior walls at local primary schools, Capdepera and Cala Ratjada, Mallorca
Altogether more than 150 individual and joint exhibitions in Spain and abroad. Gustavo has painted more than 5.000 oil paintings and experimented with different techniques and materials, from small bronze sculptures to large ones made of polyester, painting cars, buildings and making murals of ceramic tiles.